Heart Attack - Pain, pressure, heaviness or tightness in one or more of the neck, jaw, arms, back, shoulders, chest. Also nausea, cold sweat, dizziness, shortness of breath, collapse.
1. If conscious, help patient stop all activity and rest comfortably.
2 Assess consciousness, breathing and pulse rate.
3. If in any doubt, call Triple Zero (000) or mobile 112 for an ambulance and prepare for CPR if conscious state deteriorates.
4. Send help to locate a defibrillator in case of need.
5. If prescribed medication for chest pain, assist conscious patient to take as directed, but NO food or fluids.
6. Keep patient calm, loosen tight clothing.
7. Observe and check vital signs every few minutes. Do not leave unattended.