Burns & Scalds
Burns & Scalds - Severe pain, red peeling or blistered skin, weeping fluid, shock, faint, nausea, vomiting, delayed swelling.
1. Ensure safety for yourself and bystanders.
2. If clothing is on fire, tell patient to STOP, DROP and ROLL! Smother any flames with blankets if available.
3. Immediately place burn under cool running water for at least 20 minutes, or apply hydrogel if no running water.
4. If possible remove all jewellery and other items from burnt area if not stuck to the wound.
5. Cover wound with a sterile non-adherent dressing or clean cling film and secure with a loose bandage.
6. Check the patient for shock and elevate the limb if possible.
7. Seek urgent medical assistance or call ambulance on Triple Zero (000) or mobile 112 for wounds larger than a 20-cent piece.