Emergency Highlight - Sting

Posted by Michael Boltman on

Australia is home to many insects that sting as a form of defence. Sharing the environment with these creatures means students can sometimes be at the wrong place at the wrong time.

  1. Student who has been stung may feel pain or burning. Check for sting mark or barb and any swelling and/or bleeding. 
  2. Remove stinger by scraping it away with flat surface, tweezers, or fingernail. Wash wound with soap and water, apply antiseptic, cover with dressing then apply ice or cold pack. 
  3. Call 000 if student seems to be having an allergic or anaphylactic reaction. Symptoms include rash, itchiness, swelling on hands, feet or face, or slowed breathing. Provide constant reassurance while waiting for ambulance.

Frequently Asked Questions

What insect repellent should be used when going into an area that may be infested with insects? Wear insect repellent containing diethyltoluamide (DEET).

Can children use DEET? Children should only use products that contain less than 10 percent DEET.

How can I reduce the risk of insect infestations? Make sure there is no standing water in the area, such as in buckets and stagnant ponds.

How do I carefully remove a stinger? Be sure to grab the base of the stinger to avoid squeezing the venom sac.

To view online, please click here